Your news, by you…
We are recruiting OMS Road Safety Champions to lead, influence, inform and help keep safe their family, friends and communities when behind the wheel.
Distraction, fatigue, monotony, complacency, peer group pressure, lack of experience and other drivers are just some of the issues waiting for us as we drive and ride off from the driving test centre.
17-21 year olds are at the greatest risk of injury and death on our roads globally. The Global Road Safety Partnership reports, “over 3,000 people are being killed every day, some 700 of them are children!”
With teamwork, OMS Road Safety Champions can help reverse this growing trend – one life at a time. These deaths are avoidable!
How are you going to do this?
Create some noise – a lot of noise!
Our ‘on the ground’ OMS Champions will bring us teenage driving news from countries like the UK, USA, India, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and Canada. Together we will spread the word, share best practice and encourage everyone to be safer road users. We will run competitions, create posters, write articles for publication and conduct interviews – sound interesting?
As schools find it harder to resource ‘Drivers Ed’ for their pupils it is more important than ever we all pull together to remind each other of the perils that can face us on the roads every day. Like many things, the power is in the conversation; if we are not talking about the challenges, nothing will change and the number of pointless deaths will continue to climb.
What does being an OMS Champion involve?
This is an exciting opportunity for young people aged 13-21 to gain experience of reporting, see their news featured on our website, join in with our social media communications and – most importantly – play a role in saving lives by raising awareness of road safety.
What will I receive?
- An OMS Champion kit including bag, pen, notepad, memory stick, high visibility waistcoat and fact pack
- Guidance on the types of news stories we are looking for
- Tips, ideas and materials for promoting road safety in your area
- An OMS Road Safety Champion certificate of involvement
What can I expect during my time as Ambassador?
- E-mail support from the One More Second team
- Your articles (subject to editing) published on the One More Second website, together with your name and pictures
- Publicity via our newsletter and social media
- Exclusive Road Safety Champion competitions with the chance to win top prizes
What will be expected of me?
- Enthusiasm and passion for saving lives from preventing crashes on our roads
- Evidence of a commitment to spreading the road safety message – one tweet, article, message per month
- Submission of news stories and interviews relevant to our mission
- Submission of images to demonstrate involvement
How do I apply?
To apply to become an OMS Champion please record a short video of no more than 30 seconds explaining why you would be an excellent OMS Champion. Send us the video together with your name, e-mail address, date of birth, country of origin and passport style picture to email@example.com All successful applicants will have their details published on the OMS Road Safety Champions section of the website.
Terms and Conditions
Please note this is an unpaid opportunity.