Haulage and commercial drivers who move goods between Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and the European Union (EU) will be subject to new requirements from 1 January, 2021, following the UK’s exit from the EU.

The UK Government has published detailed guidance on its website, covering everything from licence requirements and international driving permits to new border control processes.

Including in the guidance:

  • Drivers: documents, licences and permits
  • UK hauliers: documents, licences and permits
  • EU hauliers: documents, licences and permits
  • Cross-border responsibilities when moving goods
  • Safety and security
  • Moving goods from GB to the EU
  • Moving goods from the EU to GB
  • Securing a vehicle when travelling to and from the UK
  • Checklist of customs documents
  • Customs documents: import declaration, CTC, ATA, TIR
  • Additional certificates for particular goods
  • Safety and security declarations

Separate guidance will be published on moving goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

See the guidance: Transporting goods between Great Britain and the EU from 1 January 2021: guidance for hauliers and commercial drivers