The UK government’s Department for Transport has issued new guidance related to travelling during the coronavirus outbreak.
Included in the guidance is advice on car sharing, with confirmation that car sharing is permitted if it “is reasonably necessary as part of your work”. The following advice is provided to help reduce the risk of transmission in these cases:
- share the transport with the same people each time
- minimise the group size at any one time
- open windows for ventilation
- travel side by side or behind other people, rather than facing them, where seating arrangements allow
- face away from each other
- consider seating arrangements to maximise distance between people in the vehicle
- clean your car between journeys using standard cleaning products – make sure you clean door handles and other areas that people may touch
- ask the driver and passengers to wear a face covering
The guidance also includes advice for planning safer journeys, using public transport and travelling abroad.