The UK Government has published details of the requirements for UK drivers when driving in Europe after Brexit.

The new rules state that, from 28 March 2019, drivers from the UK may need a different international driving permit (IDP) to drive abroad. In the event of a “no deal” exit, UK drivers may also need extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA.

Additional guidance has been issued for bus/ coach drivers and lorry/ goods vehicle drivers. See:
Prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit: bus and coach drivers
Prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit: lorry and goods vehicle drivers

UK nationals living in the EU
UK driving licence holders living in the EU or EEA are advised to exchange their UK licence for a local EU driving licence before 29 March 2019. In the event of a “no deal” exit, passing a driving test in the country of residence may be a requirement in order to carry on driving there.

International driving permits
In the event of a “no deal” exit, UK drivers may need an international driving permit in addition to their UK driving licence to drive in EU and EEA countries.
Check which IDPs you might need.

Vehicle insurance when driving in EU
In the event of a “no deal” exit and the European Commission failing to make a decision ensuring that UK registered vehicles are checked for proof of insurance, drivers of UK registered vehicles will be required to carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in the EU and EEA. Some countries might require separate insurance for trailers. Contact your vehicle insurance provider for a Green Card.

Traffic incidents and collisions
In the event of a “no deal” exit, UK drivers involved in a collision in an EU or EEA country may need to bring a claim against the driver or insurer in the country in which the collision occurs. In the event of the driver being uninsured or untraceable, UK drivers might not receive compensation.

Full details of all of the above requirements, and more – including number plates, vehicle registration documents and trailer registration – are available on the Department for Transport website.