Californians are encouraged to stay off the roads during winter storms if possible or take precautions if they have to drive.
The Department of Motor Vehicles has issued the advice to drivers as winter storms sweep through the state.
âDriver safety is our number one concern,â said DMV Director Steve Gordon. âThe safest thing to do is stay home. But if you have to be on the roads during this weekâs storms, please be careful and take basic safety measures.â
The DMV has issued the following driver safety tips during severe weather events:
- Donât drive unless you have to.
- Reduce your speed and maintain a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- If weather conditions require you to use your windshield wipers, remember to use your low-beam headlights.
- Keep both hands on the wheel.
- Stay alert â donât get distracted. Never text and drive.
- Never drive near fallen power lines.
- Pay attention and follow posted road signs and detours.