Global NCAP has launched a “Safer Choice” Award that will be presented to automakers achieving the highest levels of safety performance for cars sold in India.
To qualify for the award, a car model must achieve all of the following requirements:
- A 5-star score for Adult Occupant Protection
- At least a 4-star result in Child Occupant Protection
- Offer Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and meet performance requirements according to United Nations Regulations UN13H, UN140 or GTR9. Where optional, ESC must be available on all the model variants, sold separately without any “bundling” with other features, and as from two years onwards must be a standard fit to at least 20% of the sales volume in the country
- Meet Pedestrian Protection requirements according to United Nations Regulations UN127 or GTR9
- Conformity with the requirements must be validated at a Global NCAP designated laboratory and by the provision of type approval certificates where applicable
“Launching our ‘Safer Choice’ Award is an important new development in our Safer Cars for India campaign,” said Global NCAP Secretary General David Ward. “We very much look forward to the first automaker in India to achieve the accolade of five-star ‘Safer Choice’ performance.”